Friday, May 24, 2013

Song Review - I Do The Rock by Tim Curry

Apparently, Tim Curry had a stroke recently, and my heart goes out to the guy and I hope he makes a full recovery and that he can soon get back to being the most kitschy and flamboyant human being this side of John Waters.

I've always loved the guy. He's made a career out of making bad movies a little more awesome with his presence. His iconic performance in Rocky Horror Picture Show defined the concept of a performance that's so bad that it's good. The guy is a b-movie legend, and his performances in film, stage, TV and cartoon voice work are always fantastic and very memorable.

But one of my favorite things he's ever done is I Do The Rock, a largely forgotten song he made in 1979. I have no idea how it's been forgotten, because it's everything glorious about Tim Curry. He's making a horrible attempt at an accent - I don't even know what accent. Russian? Jamaican? I'll just call the accent 'Tim Curry Attempting an Accent.' It's the same one he did in Congo. He's also prancing around like the gayest man on the planet, and just being all around awesome. Also, the song is absolutely horrendous. It's one of the worst things I've ever heard, but I can look past that because it's Tim Curry, dammit. Hell, I don't look past it. The awfulness is the main attraction. I'm watching this flamboyant, creepy British guy prance around and sing the most idiotic lyrics I've ever heard. This is Tim Curry at his finest.

Get well, Tim. You friggin' rule.


No comments:

Post a Comment